Summary of article
The Japanese island of Okinawa, where ikigai has its origins, is said to be home to the largest population of centenarians in the world.
“Your ikigai is at the intersection of what you are good at and what you love doing” - Hector Garcia
It’s a framework/concept for thinking about fulfillment and purpose in life.
Tips for finding your ikigai
- Stay active and don’t retire
- Leave urgency behind and adopt a slower pace of life
- Only eat until you are 80 per cent full
- Surround yourself with good friends
- Get in shape through daily, gentle exercise
- Smile and acknowledge people around you
- Reconnect with nature
- Give thanks to anything that brightens our day and makes us feel alive
- Live in the moment
- Follow your ikigai