Summary of blog post
Joining new teams -> knowledge deficit.
Find someone on the team and set up 30m:
- 25m: ask them to tell you everything they think you should know. Always stop to ask about things you don’t understand
- 3m: ask about the biggest challenge the team has right now
- 2m: ask who else you should talk to
- complete picture of team’s work
- over index on areas of work currently under way - dive into productivity and discussions
- nature of what people say is important - work, organization, process
- language and terminology
- impress team with positive impact
- map of influence in the org
- creates a map very different than the org chart
Greatest value isn’t answers, it’s asking: it shows respect for the team already in place.